Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Guilty Pleasures

Summertime has been, for me, a time that I indulge some of my guilty pleasures, and develop new ones.

My biggest guilty pleasure is sleeping.  I do my best to keep my wake-up time around 9:00 or 9:30 in the mornings during the summer.  Joining things like a Bible study that starts in the morning, going to water fitness class during the day helps.  But sometimes I just stay up late and sleep in late.  I've also tended to take naps in the afternoon.  If I've had a particularly energetic workout in water fitness, or if I've done some yard work, I'll take a nap in the afternoon.

My other indulgence is too much TV.  I take the chance to catch up on series I've missed, and also to experience new ones.  The latest guilty pleasure I've discovered is the new Dallas.  I remember the original Dallas--my parents watched it faithfully every week.  I was just as interested in "Who Shot JR?" as anyone.  I thought that Bobby Ewing's "death" being all a dream was just as ridiculous as everyone else did.

The latest incarnation of Dallas is just as good, or should I say bad, as the original.  It's campy, it's ludicrous, it's simply ridiculous!  Just like in the original series, everyone is going behind everyone else's back.  As a viewer, I am wondering why everyone trusts each other, or why they even have any kind of relationship at all.  Why any of these people interact with the outside world is beyond me.  Seriously...why would anyone really believe that JR Ewing is out to serve anyone but himself?  Yet for some reason, the very people he's screwed in the past give him chance after chance.  I suppose that's what makes for good TV.

I will keep my Wednesday nights open for Dallas.  This week, I forgot to catch the first showing of it at 9:00, so I had to wait until TNT replayed the episode at 11:00.  Which means I had to stay up later...and try not to sleep in too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment