Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Technology Overload!

Recently we have begun an initiative at my school to improve our use of technology in the classroom.  We are moving toward what's called "one-to-one" technology.  Our goal is to have a computing device, such as a Macbook or an iPad, in each student's hand in order to enhance student learning.  This is a huge undertaking, and one that needs a lot of time and preparation in order for it to be done correctly.

The first step our school has taken is to make the switch from PC to Mac.  This spring, each of us received a MacBook Pro, which replaces our desktop computers in the classroom.  This is an exciting and intimidating step for us.  On our staff, we have a variety of comfort and skill levels with computers to deal with.  Additionally, we have different kinds of "learners"...some are comfortable with exploring and experimenting, and others need more direct training in how to use these new tools.  Our main goal with providing the teachers with machines first is to give teachers a better level of comfort with the new equipment before putting the technology into the hands of the students.

This leads to what I call technology overload.  Learning about new technology, no matter what your comfort level, is overwhelming.  Either you are overwhelmed because you are intimidated by it, or you are overwhelmed because there is SO MUCH YOU CAN DO!!!  (This is where I am...I don't know where to begin because I see that there's so much potential.)

The key is to start small.  Pick something reasonable to do and then try it.  Then challenge yourself by taking a step out of your comfort zone.  Continue until the new technology is a seamless part of your teaching environment.

Check out this article about one-to-one computing from Education World:
One-To-One Computing

1 comment:

  1. My school is all Mac. The 7th graders are getting 1-to-1 iPads this year and then it is going to come up with them, so I have to be ready in just a few years. Lucky for me, I have 10 iPads in my classroom as I was a test group and am finishing my masters in Ed Tech. Just take it slow and if you have questions you know where to find me....Meridith "Clay" Falkavage

    ReplyDelete