Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Complaints of Olympic Proportion

As I wrote previously, I love the Olympics.  My television has pretty much been on a channel with Olympics coverage if it's been turned on.  I've watched a couple of episodes of Jeopardy, but mostly I've had the Olympics on the telly.  I'm a little sad that school starts on Wednesday because I won't be able to stay up until midnight watching the coverage.

Yesterday, Oscar Pistorius of South Africa was the first double amputee to compete in the Olympics.  He competed in the Paralympics in Athens, but now he's in the spotlight in the London Olympics.  In the Equestrian event this morning, a 71 year-old competitor from Japan, Hiromi Hoketsu, is the oldest competitor in the Olympics.  If you watch anything related to the Olympics, you will see athletes proud to perform as representatives for their countries.

However, I'm a little distressed that in light of success, someone still seems to find something to criticize.  Gabby Douglas, who has 2 gold medals, has been criticized for her hair, and some feel uncomfortable with her statement of faith.  When she said, "And I give all the glory to God. It's kind of a win-win situation. The glory goes up to him and the blessings fall down on me," Christians admired her and non-Christians reviled her.  You can see her response to the hair controversy over on USA Today's Olympics page. (Image Source)

Additionally, on Fox News, the USA gymnastics team (and US fans) apparently aren't patriotic enough.  The hot pink and purple leotards worn by the USA women's team don't show enough USA spirit.  Not enough USA fans are chanting "U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A".

There will always be controversy surrounding the Olympics.  This Olympics isn't without it.  This year, 8 athletes were disqualified from the badminton competition because they deliberately threw matches in order to get an advantage in the next round.  Yet we're outraged that the US athletes aren't patriotic enough or that a young girl boldly states her faith.

I guess I'm enough of a Polyanna that I enjoy the Olympics for the competition and the overall pride in my country.  I'm amazed and inspired by the hard work and dedication it requires to become an Olympic-level athlete.  I said in another blog entry that I like being able to be see sports I've only heard of (this morning I watched some water polo).   I enjoy watching just to watch.  If the US wins, they win.  If they don't, they don't.  It disappoints me to watch our team lose, but I don't live or die by it.  If an athlete wants to express her gratitude to God, to her parents, or to her imaginary friend, let her do it.  If the uniforms aren't in-your-face patriotic, so what.  It doesn't change the fact that these athletes have worked hard to get to this level.  Have you worked as hard as they do to achieve what you've achieved?

No comments:

Post a Comment