Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Dealing with Diabetes

In January of 2013, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  My blood work came back and my sugars were high enough for me to be called diabetic, but in the low range.  My doctor was confident that if I made the commitment to diet and exercise, I would be able to lower my blood sugar numbers and put my diabetes into what she called "remission."

I think that most people, when finding out about such a diagnosis, first feel confused and angry.  I was confused, it's true, but my doctor provided me with some good information about diet and exercise and I decided to do some research on my own to start a plan to change my eating habits.  She also recommended that I try a diabetes education program and so I decided to find one that worked.  Fortunately a local hospital provides one-on-one diabetes education with a licensed diabetes educator for free!  As soon as I found this out, I asked my doctor to refer me to the program and made my first appointment.

My diabetes counselor has provided me with a wealth of materials, including developing a meal plan for me.  I meet with her once every few weeks, and she monitors my progress and helps me to set goals.  She also teaches me about the kinds of lifestyle changes I need to make in order to cope with diabetes. 

I have learned a lot through this diagnosis.  I am determined to live well with this condition.  I do not see diabetes as a handicap or something to hold me back.  I do not need to feel like I am depriving myself through following my meal plan.  In fact, I view this as a challenge.  I like figuring out how I can fit the foods I like into my plan.  I enjoy trying new recipes that fit into the plan.  I have been able to use the Internet, especially Pinterest, to explore new recipes and ideas for dealing with this diagnosis.  I have learned that being intentional about what I eat and do has benefits beyond just my diabetes. 

In fact, I’d like to say that right now I am in the best health for a really long time.  I am eating better, exercising more, and feeling extremely optimistic about life.  Since January I have already lost 34 pounds and at my most recent doctor’s appointment, my doctor was very encouraged.  She even suggested that in a few months I may be able to reduce the medication she has prescribed for me if my progress continues.  I have also been diagnosed with high blood pressure, and since my diabetes diagnosis and weight loss, my blood pressure has been at its lowest in years.

I am determined to continue my progress with my disease management.  I know I will always be diabetic, but I am resolved to stem the advancement of the disease in my body.  I know I can use diet and exercise to my advantage in this regard.  I do not want to be dependent on insulin or other medication to control my disease.  I want to live a full and healthy life in spite of diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment